REIKI FOR ANIMALS
Through my practice, Spirit Wolf Energetics LLC, one of the animals I have been blessed to work with is Koln, a handsome beagle who was rescued from a research laboratory and adopted by a local couple. Reiki has helped Koln to release his past trauma of life in a lab so he can fully enjoy life in his loving forever home.
We all love our precious animal friends, and it can be heartbreaking to witness the challenges they may face during their lives. A great complement to traditional care, Reiki provides a safe and gentle way to improve the health and well-being of our animal friends by facilitating the body’s innate ability to balance and heal.
WHAT IS REIKI?
Reiki is an energy healing system for stress-reduction and deep relaxation that balances and harmonizes all aspects of a being – body, mind, emotions, and spirit.
Reiki is one part of the emerging field of biofield or energy medicine. Numerous studies on the effectiveness of Reiki have resulted in many hospitals, cancer centers, and other medical facilities across the country offering it as part of patient services, and according to the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association, a large number of integrative and holistic veterinarians are also offering Reiki for their animal patients.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
A Reiki practitioner serves as a clear and open channel between the recipient and the source of universal life force energy. Reiki is intelligent and intuitive, seeking out energetic imbalances in the body, mind, and spirit, and providing healing through the energetic pathways of the body. Reiki energy goes where it is needed most for the highest good of the recipient.
WHY REIKI FOR ANIMALS?
Animals are acutely sensitive to energy. They often sense the energy of their environment and the humans who care for them, and most enjoy and respond beautifully to Reiki. It is gentle, non-invasive, painless, stress-free, and can be administered with a light touch, or “hands off” at a distance. The animal guides the Reiki session and can take in as much or as little Reiki as he or she is comfortable with.
Some of the benefits Reiki can provide are:
- Maintaining the health and well-being of the whole animal on the physical, mental, emotional, and instinctual level.
- Inducing deep relaxation and stress-relief.
- Supporting animals through emotional trauma, grief, and abuse.
- Improving behavioral issues and strengthening the human-animal bond.
- Helping to balance and relax an animal before vet visits or surgery, and accelerating healing from illness, injury, or surgery.
- Reducing pain and inflammation.
- Lessening side effects of medical treatments.
- Supporting the immune system.
- Providing a more peaceful transition at end of life, helping them to relax enough to “let go.”
Our animal friends provide us with unconditional love and joy in our everyday lives. I hope this brief introduction to Animal Reiki will encourage you to explore how this incredible natural healing modality can supplement your animal companion’s traditional care, and become a part of their wellness plan.